Applying For A Marriage License

Before getting married in West Virginia or Brooke County, couples must obtain a marriage license together, in person, from the County Clerk's Office.

Under West Virginia law, only eligible persons can marry. The couple must:

  • not be blood relatives
  • be 18 years of age or older
Individuals who reside out of state may not apply for a marriage license in West Virginia if such a marriage would not be legal in their home state. In state and out of state residents may apply in any county in West Virginia  as long as they are getting married in West Virginia.

Under state law, applicants who are 16 and 17 years old may obtain a marriage license with parental consent. If a court-appointed legal guardian is providing consent, a certified copy of the appointment is required. Either the parents or the legal guardians must provide a notarized affidavit of consent of the marriage at that time. Underage applicants must provide valid identification, and are subject to a three-day waiting period.

Applicants who are 16 or 17 must present a certified copy of their birth certificate.

In order to apply for a marriage license, couples must:
  • appear together at the Brooke County Courthouse
  • fill out and sign a marriage license application, download form here.
  • present valid identifications with proof of age
  • pay a $57 fee by cash or personal check
    • Note: this fee is reduced to $37 if the applicants present a premarital education course completion certificate dated within one year of the application of marriage license. This class must be completed before applying for a marriage license in order to get the reduced fee. No refunds will be issued for classes taken after the marriage license application date.
  • provide social security numbers
  • provide mothers' and fathers' full names at birth - first, middle and last - plus city and state, or foreign country, of their births
Applicants who have been previously married must provide the exact month, day and year that the previous marriage ended, and indicate whether it was by death, divorce or annulment.

Timelines and Restrictions
Marriage licenses are:
  • issued while you wait
  • effective immediately after issued
  • valid for 60 days
  • effective only in West Virginia
A couple may be married either by a minister that is registered in the State of West Virginia or a judicial judge. It is the couple’s responsibility to make these arrangements.

After the Marriage Ceremony
The individual(s) performing the ceremony must complete the marriage license and mail or deliver it to the Clerk’s Office.
For a fee of $5 per copy, you may obtain a copy of your marriage certificate at the County Clerk’s Office, or by mail by sending the fee with pertinent information, and a photo copy of your state issued identification to 632 Main Street Suite 201 Wellsburg, WV 20670.

Civil Ceremony in Brooke County

A civil ceremony can be arranged, by appointment only, through a Brooke County Court Judge.
The Honorable Judge Jason A. Cuomo
P.O. Box 474
632 Main Street
Wellsburg, WV 26070


Religious Officials
All religious officials performing marriages in the State of West Virginia are required to file with the West Virginia Secretary of State’s Office. Registration packets can be obtained by calling the Secretary of State’s Office toll free at (866) 767-8683 or visiting their website at
It is the responsibility of the religious official to keep a record of each marriage performed, which must be kept as a permanent record.