Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Does the county have building code, zoning / planning regulations ?
No, the county has no zoning. If you are building inside an incorporated area you need to contact that city hall.
When is the Courthouse open for business?
The Brooke County Courthouse is open 9:00 to 5:00 Monday through Friday.
How do I report a dog complaint ?
If the dog is running loose report it to the Animal Shelter (304) 394-0800. If it is a vicious dog or has bitten call 911.
I have several questions about the Animal Shelter. Where can I find additional information?
Additional FAQ about the Animal Shelter can be found here: Brooke County Animal Shelter
When does the County Commission meet ?

The County Commission meets every Tuesday  at 10:30 AM.

Where do I get marriage license, birth certificate or death certificates ?

These can be found in the County Clerk’s Office (304)-737-3661.

Where do I get my dog tags ?
You will receive your dog tags when you pay your dog taxes, which is done in the Assessor’s Office.
Where do I get my license plate sticker for my car ?
License plate sticker can be obtained from the Sheriff’s Tax Office.
Where do I pay my property taxes?

They can be paid at the Sheriff’s Tax Office in the County Courthouse, balance and receipts can be found online. For more information click here.

Where do I pay traffic tickets ?
If the ticket was written by a  Brooke County Sheriff Department Deputy or State Police contact Magistrate Court, if written by a municipal officer contact the City Hall of the town it was written in.
Where do my tax dollars go ?
Approximately 60% of property tax dollars go to schools and education if you live in a district. County government gets approximately 39% which is used to support the courthouse, jail, and various services such as: Economic Development, Health Department, Animal Shelter and Animal Control, Emergency Services and Social Services. The remainder goes to the state. The school excess levy goes to the school system.
Where do register to voter or other election information ?

Contact the County Clerk’s Office for more information (304) 737-3661.

Who do I contact to get a county road repaired ?

The county has no control over road repairs, contact the local Department of Highways for information.

Phone:(304) 843-4000
Fax:(304) 843-4085
1 DOT Drive
Moundsville, WV 26041-1605
Office Hours:
7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., M-F
Where can I get a copy of my divorce decree ?

These can be obtained from the Circuit Court (304) 737-3662.

Does the County Clerk's Office still sell hunting licenses ?

No the County no longer sells hunting / fishing licenses, they can be purchased online at:

If I think the value of my property is too high, what can I do?
The County Commission is allowed to sit as a Board of Review and Equalization during the month of February. A schedule is published in the newspaper and you must make an appointment. At the hearing the property owner must present evidence as to why they feel the assessed value is too high. It is up to the Commissioners to make the decision to reduce, increase or leave the property at the stated value. Their decision can be appealed in Circuit Court within 30 days following the hearing.